Re: [StrongED] Display of Tabs and Ctrls

The following bytes were arranged on 16 Sep 2012 by Fred Graute :

[snips]

> As the format of the font files is to be altered anyway I'm considering
> of moving the special glyphs for Ctrl/Tab. The glyphs for 'dotted line'
> tabs are moved to character positions 256-259 in all font styles.
>
> The glyphs for non-alphabetic control codes are placed at the first 32
> character positions in a font style. Currently we don't use these and
> this is how things were before the CtrlTab style was introduced.
>
> The CtrlTab style is removed, the Ctrl/Tab options all remain the same.
> An additional option is added to Mode Choices -> Font which allows you
> to choose a special representation for Ctrl/Tab. Which will default to
> small hex numbers for Ctrl and a dotted line for Tab. Representations
> for Tab will use tables so as to allow the old, 4 char, dotted line.

> That's the plan (well part of it anyway, there's more). Any thoughts?

That sounds even better than my plan!  If altering the existing bitmap
fonts is on the table, then the CtrlTab style can be dispensed with
entirely, just as I wanted all those posts ago.

One question, though: will expanding the number of glyphs in a single
font beyond 256 cause any internal problems?  Does the redraw engine
assume that the character at a given position can be represented by a
single byte?

Of course, if it doesn't, then that paves the way for... Unicode
StrongED!! :-)

--
  __<^>__   Red sky in the morning: Shepherd's warning
 / _   _ \  Red sky at night: Shepherd's delight