Re: [StrongED] Display of Tabs and Ctrls

In message <ab97d6cf52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since you've treated me to an extended explanation of the situation as
> it stands, and since my thought processes have already run ahead faster
> than I could finish composing my posts on at least one previous
> occasion, here's a summary of what I'd like to see on top of that:
>
> In addition to the '    ' and '--->' Tab styles, add a double-ended and
> single-character-capable version using the previous CtrlTab standard
> (characters '\x80-\x83').  My main reason for this is simply that I
> think it looks cleaner and nicer, as well as more clearly distinguishing
> tabs from ordinary text.  (StrongHelp manual syntax, and HTML comments,
> come to mind.)  Existing CtrlTab files would not need updating.

Allow me to treat you to a sneak preview of what's coming then. ;-)

Currently files that contain Ctrl/Tab cannot be printed due to the way
Font_Paint is implemented in the printer driver. In order to allow such
files to be printed the list of redraw elements that is being generated
(and then passed to an appropriate redraw engine) needs to have its
format changed.

This is a major piece of work as all the redraw engines will need to be
updated for this. The most likely stage where the old list format will
be converted to the new format is the stage that is responsible for
picking the representation string for Ctrl/Tab. [*]

The reason for this choosing this stage is that it's the final stage of
the redraw list build phase. Hence we know all the strings that will be
plotted and can build up the final list in the new format.

Another thing is support for bitmap fonts of sizes other than 8*8, 8*16.
This requires changes to the format of bitmap font files, each font file
will only have one sprite in it. The 'Use 8*8 in hires' will be removed,
instead you pick an 8*8 font.

As the format of the font files is to be altered anyway I'm considering
of moving the special glyphs for Ctrl/Tab. The glyphs for 'dotted line'
tabs are moved to character positions 256-259 in all font styles.

The glyphs for non-alphabetic control codes are placed at the first 32
character positions in a font style. Currently we don't use these and
this is how things were before the CtrlTab style was introduced.

The CtrlTab style is removed, the Ctrl/Tab options all remain the same.
An additional option is added to Mode Choices -> Font which allows you
to choose a special representation for Ctrl/Tab. Which will default to
small hex numbers for Ctrl and a dotted line for Tab. Representations
for Tab will use tables so as to allow the old, 4 char, dotted line.

Doing things this way has a number of advantages; each style has all the
glyphs we need for all the different representations and a styles can
have glyphs for Ctrl/Tab that match the other characters shapes.

The option for special Ctrl/Tab representations being in the 'Bitmap
options' section in Font should make it clear that it applies to bitmap
fonts only. No need to validate combinations of settings or shading of
icons in Mode Choices.

That's the plan (well part of it anyway, there's more). Any thoughts?

[*] At some time in the future I'm hoping to combine various stages of
the redraw list build phase - it would lift a couple of limitations -
but that's an even more involved undertaking.

StrongED developer