Re: [StrongED] Display of Tabs and Ctrls

In message <e9778acc52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> Yes, exactly.  IMO CtrlTab was never really a 'style' in the way that
> Bold and Italic were, because you'd never want to use it for anything
> other than Ctrls and Tabs, and you'd never really want to use any style
> other than CtrlTab for that purpose either.
>
> I think my preferred solution would be to decouple it from the bitmap
> fonts system altogether and just have one global file (still
> user-editable) containing the control characters and dotted lines.
> Anybody else have any opinions on this?

Yes. One global file for the control characters and dotted lines.
sounds a good idea, to be used if a mode does not override it
with one of its own.

> Do you value the ability to
> have more than one single-character representation of the same control
> character, or more than one style of dotted line available?

No. But then my use of StrongED, though it is the application that
outweighs all others in use, apart possibly from NetSurf, may well be
limited compared to the patterns of use that others may have. Once
I have set myself up (my own Basemode, stripping out spell-checking,
text-to-speech, .... ) with my own personalizations, I continue with
the same for years before finding any need for alteration.

Incidentally, I have never found a text-editor for Windows or Linux
that comes anywhere near StrongED for user-friendliness and modifiability.
It is even quite hard to find a text editor "out-there" that can
put multiple files in multiple windows, with drag-and-drop copying,
as !Edit can. Either the windows have to be inside some parent window
of the application (e.g. PFE) or there is some useless tabbed system
(e.g. SciTe) that precludes reading information from different files
or views simultaneously. If anyone can set me right on this please
do so.

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/