Re: [StrongED] StrongHelp 2.87 available

In message <b7c6aaca52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[big snip here]

> And sorry, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether the
> manual's open or not!

Thanks Martin for all your help in trying to resolve this!

> Remote debugging is fun, no?

Oh yeah, love it to death.

Good news is; I may have found the culprit.

When you press F1 StrongED sends a HelpWord message to StrongHelp which
then tries to find a match in one of its manuals.

The message send by StrongED only contains the 'word' to get help on,
no list of manuals is supplied to StrongHelp. This means that all
manuals will be searched, this is important as we'll see later on.

As StrongHelp prepares to search a manual it first checks if it contains
a file called !Pre, which is a utility that some manuals have. !Pre is
used to alter the 'word' searched for, the SWI manuals for example use
it to strip the 'X' from the start of a SWI name.

As it turns out a lot of the !Pre utilities still use, as you already
suspected, 26-bit instructions (mostly LDMFD {..,PC}^). This could well
be the cause of the problem you're seeing.

This does of course raise the question why this problem hasn't surfaced
until now. Well, I guess, most F1 lookups are probably done from SED/Zap
and they usually supply a path (depending on mode a file is viewed in).
So only the manuals listed are looked in, and the manuals most used are
probably the SWI manuals (OS, Wimp) and they have !Pre's that are 32-bit
ok.

You can test this by moving all manuals out of !Manuals, run StrongHelp
and then press F1 in an empty StrongED document. If that works, put a
manual back that has a 26-bit !Pre and try again. If that fails then we
can be pretty sure we've found the problem. Please give it a try and let
me know the outcome.

StrongED developer