Re: [StrongED] how to go to character X

In message <b6aeb2c252.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <stred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A program is telling me that character 16768 ib a certain file is
> wrong.
>
> StrongEd can "Goto line" or "Goto block", but is there any way to go
> directly to a particular character position?

Not directly, there are two indirect ways that I can think of:

 - Click Menu over the position indicator on the Infobar (far left).
   Select 'File offset', this will show the caret position as an offset
   (in characters) from the start of the file.
   Move through the file until you've reached the character indicated.

   For large file it's probably easiest to use a binary method, start in
   the middle, check if character is in upper or lower half, then split
   that in half etc.

 - Switch to Dump mode (Adjust click on the mode name on the Infobar).
   Convert character position to hex (16768 = &4180).
   Press F5 to open the Goto box, enter hex number then hit Enter.
   Switch back to previous mode (right arrow on Toolbar, next to Byte).

   The caret should now be at the required character.

StrongED developer