[StrongED] Delete key problem

In article <30d11ca652.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>,
   Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26 Jun 2012, Chris Newman <cvjazz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> > I reckon there must be something wrong with my !Boot
> [snip]
> > The only thing I've done lately to Boot as far as I am aware is
> > install the new !System from ROOL.

> I believe that the RO 5.1x !System is not compatible with RO 4.39, and I
> would suggest reverting to that on the RO 4.39 distribution CD.

I'm no thinking you are right.
I needed an up to date module for Fireworks (CLib I think) & was directed to
the ROOL site. As the download help file said "This is the !System
distribution of modules to update machines prior to those running RISC OS 5"
I benignly thought it would be OK for mine so I put the whole package on both
machines!! Looking back that was rather stupid!!! Should have just taken the
module I needed.
I've just tried Bookmaker on the VA machine & it has also complained. The
only thing I think I've done to both machines is add the ROOL !System.

I had saved my old !System directory & tried reverting to that but it has not
solved the problems.
I've noticed the ROOL help also says "Do not use the merge dialogue in
 !Boot > Configuration > System Merge because part of the update must refresh
files in a directory that the merge dialogue cannot reach. Instead, a simple
obey file is included call !SysMerge." So having done that as per
instructions there must be another directory that has been altered but no
clues as to which in the ROOL document.
I've just tried again re-instating the old !System & the machine froze near
the end of the boot sequence so I had to boot from drive 5 to get out of it.

> > I also appear to have a hardware problem. I don't think it's related
> > to this but I'll describe it anyway for elimination purposes.
> [snip]
> Those symptoms could also relate to an inappropriate !System.
Right. The time problem & hour glass were happening pre ROOL but not the
instruction fetch error.

Many thanks for your help.

--
Chris