Re: [StrongED] Transient not expiring

In message <8e9ea99e52.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 11 Jun 2012 by Fred Graute :
>
> > It's taken a while but I think I've found the cause of the problem. I
> > say think because I'm not seeing the same effects as Martin, instead I
> > get an abort somewhere in the OS and then error messages from the Wimp
> > (hence this machine has seen way too many resets this past week).
>
> Sounds similar enough...
>
> > So, when there's too much data the buffer is overrun, overwriting part
> > of the RMA. Leading to all kinds of errors depending on what's being
> > overwritten. (One for the Bugs section in ROOL's forum, I think).
>
> Ouch.  That explains the desktop crashes, then!
>
> Does Transient pass more than just the leafnames of the daily
> subdirectories when expiring?

No, it only passes a list of space-separated leafnames.

> Because if it's just a list of dates, I must admit I'm at a loss as to
> how the modest number of directories I attempted to expire could have
> overrun the limit.

It surprised me as well that such a bug was present in Transient but in
testing I probably never exceeded the limit having a relatively small
number of directories spread over several users.

> That said, I never counted them, and a rough estimate suggests that
> you'd only need more than 21 such directories to overrun 235 bytes.

Indeed, so if someone expired once a month then they'd have a good
chance of running into this. Most users I guess either have expiry
turned off or use a rather short expiry time.

> Thanks very much for all the time you've spent on this.

No problem, and thank you for reporting it. It was, shall we say, an
interesting journey.

--
Fred Graute