Re: [StrongED] Transient not expiring

In message <2b81af9952.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 14 May 2012 by Fred Graute :
>
> > If you have Reporter then it may be helpful in finding out where in
> > Transient the problem occurs. Decompress Transient with AppBasic, then
> > add '*ReportTrace ON' to PROCDealWith_InitialEvent in the Initial file.
> > Run Transient and let us know the output from Reporter.
>
> Sorry for abandoning this for so long, but I had a lot of exams to worry
> about.  However, I'm finally free to try this out...

Thanks Martin, hope your exams went well.

> The first thing which strikes me is that, after decompressing version
> 2.06a and adding *ReportTrace ON to PROCDealWith_InitialEvent, the error
> message changes.  This is familiar behaviour when altering the code in
> any way, and generally implies that memory is being corrupted in a
> random fashion.  FWIW, the new message is: 'No such function/procedure
> in "ExpireDirs"'.  This appears twice, and is followed by an AppBasic
> debugging window narrowing it down to line 65.

Line 65 in ExpireDirs sets the heading for the scroll list. The Toolbox
StrongHelp states that this requires Text Gadgets 0.29 (or above) so it
seems safe to use with the RO 5.18+, which comes with version 0.34.

However whilst investigating a bug in the ROOL version recently I found
that the split between ROL and ROOL versions occured after 0.25, meaning
ROOL's 0.34 doesn't support ScrollList_SetHeadingText and is probably
why Transient goes wrong.

You could try commenting out the lines dealing with header text and see
it that allows Transient to expire. That would confirm it.

StrongED developer