[StrongED] Re: spurious threads on this list starting with "Re:"

aIn article <64c18c8452.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jim Nagel <stred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been trying to work out what it is that causes threads on this
> mailinglist to split into two.

Threading is a job for the email client to properly interpret the email
headers - which contain a list of previous references.

Some email clients don't do this properly. On ordinary emails Pluto not
infrequently reports that headers are corrupted.

> The original thread will be called "[StrongED] XYZ" and behaves
> correctly, and then before long a second thread appears called
> "[StrongED] Re: XYZ".

The mailing list software is set to add the prefix StrongED]

> I think I've worked out that the spurious "Re:" thread always begins
> with a reply from a user of the Pluto email client.

Pluto can (and probably should) be set to strip mailing list suffices.

> Subsequent messages in this neo-thread (not necessarily from a Pluto
> user) sometimes have "Re: [StrongED] Re: XYZ" as their subject line.

But threading is not a matter of the subject. It's down to the previous
history. So one email from you in the thread "show invisible characters"
has a line in the headers:

<8254d17b52.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> <2a8def7b52.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<6b8d1c7c52.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <8c692f7c52.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
<452d3f7c52.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <8fa1407c52.wra1th@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wich gives all the threading info.

[Snip]

> Or perhaps the flaw is in the email client (MPro 6.05) displaying the
> thread at my end?  What do others observe?

So it seems to be an email client breaking the References - or MPro not
properly threading them!