Re: [StrongED] Re: StrongED 4,69a6 StrongHTML

In message <e0dc076852.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <5267feb442Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>   "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In article <a1ca906652.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> As may be clear from the above, only modes that use system variables
> >> that have been renamed may cause problems. However to keep things simple
> >> Older modes are said to be incompatible with 4.69a6 (and the newer modes
> >> are said to be incompatible with older versions of StrongED).
>
> > Is this why StrongHTML isn't working properly?
>
> > I notice
> >   tmp$word
> >   tmp$path
> >   tmp$leaf
> >   TMP$Mode
> > listed in the ModeFile. What should these be?
>
> Those variables are superseded in the new Modes and is one of the
> major reasons why the old Modes can fail with a6.

Yes, they have been superseded but...

Use of old style Tmp$xxx variables in ModeFiles shouldn't cause any
problems as the old names are defined as macros referencing the new
names. This is done in the OldTmps file (which in 4.69a6 is located
in StrongED.StartUp).

It's this support for the old Tmp$xxx variables that is likely to be
removed in 4.70 as the new variables have been around since 4.67a8 (5
may 2005) so there's been plenty of time to switch over.

> > In particular, this mode fails to drag in an image properly.
>
> Having said that even with all the right bits and pieces that tool
> does not work with the unofficial a7 I have, on the ARMini that is.

In what way does it fail? Just tried on an Iyonix and it's working fine.

> Help written directly in the ModeFiles no longer works, Help text must
> be in the Messages files accessed via tokens in the ModeFile. I guess
> that is intentional it is just that the StrongHTML ModeFile is not
> fully updated.

Actually it's not intentional (so thanks for mentioning it) but it seems
to have been lost when the code that deals with interactive help was
rewritten. Restoring it would be easy but I may just leave it as it is,
using tokens is the better way IMO.

StrongED developer