Re: [StrongED] StrongED 4.69a6 available

In message <52e35f4952.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
  Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,

> The sixth alpha release of StrongED 4.69 can found on the website:
> http://www.stronged.iconbar.com/archives/releases/se469a6.zip

[snip]

> Start up changes
> ================

>    If you have altered the ClaimFiles file inside UserPrefs then, again,
>    you may have to do some tweaking to make it work with 4.69a6.

> The way StrongED starts up has been altered, although most of it should
> be transparent. It's mostly a case of moving files around, all the files
> involved (except !Boot and !Run) are now in a directory called StartUp.

> As said, this should be largely transparent so I'll skip the details -
> look the files inside StartUp if you're interested - and concentrate on
> the user facing changes.

> The files Init and ClaimFiles that used to be inside UserPrefs should
> now be inside UserPrefs.StartUp. They will be moved there when 4.69a6
> starts up for the first time, Init will be renamed to UserInit.

> ClaimFiles is actually no longer used by StrongED. Instead a new file
> Unclaim is used, a default copy of this is placed in UserPrefs.StartUp
> when 4.69a6 is first run.

That is a bit confusing, if ClaimFiles is no longer used then why does
it need to be in UserPrefs.StartUp?

> Unclaim is the same as the first section of ClaimFiles, so any changes
> you've made to this section should be copied to Unclaim. Once that's
> done ClaimFiles should be deleted as it's no longer required.

> Please note that Alias$@RunType_FFF should always be unset in Unclaim.
> This to prevent the error 'Unknown operand' as Edit will define it as
> a macro (as discussed on the newsgroups recently).

Having ensured that is done a clean installation of !StrongED 4.69a6
fails to boot or start, it still errors with 'Unknown operand'.

By elimination the error is caused by this line in
!StrongED.StartUp.ClaimFiles :-

If "<Alias$@RunType_FFF>" = "" Then Set Alias$@RunType_FFF Run
<StrongED$Dir>.!Run %%*0

The problem seems to be that ClaimFiles is still called in
!StrongED.!Boot, which is in turn called from !StrongED.!Run.

ClaimFiles is still required and it is that that calls Unclaim with :-

IfThere StrongED_Read:Unclaim Then Obey StrongED_Read:Unclaim

And there is the problem, Unclaim is now in the StartUp directory.
This works :-

IfThere StrongED_Read:StartUp.Unclaim Then Obey
StrongED_Read:StartUp.Unclaim

!StrongED 4.69a6 now does boot and run. Though that is a fix of some
sort it might not be the "right" fix.

I hope this help.

Thanks for the continued development.
--
David Pitt

MessengerPro 6 on an ARMini running RISC OS 5