Re: [StrongED] Fonts

In message <fd23f03752.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
          Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <5503ea3752.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For a kick off, If I select a bitmap font that doesn't have a bold
> > I get a warning banner every time StrongED starts.
>
> This means that you must have configured bold for one or more syntax
> colouring elements, using a font that supports bold. Later you switched
> to a font without bold and StrongED alerts to the fact that it can't do
> bold with that font.
>
> To get rid of the warning go to mode choices of BaseMode (error occurs
> at startup so mode must be BaseMode) and check the Colours section for
> any elements that have their style set to bold. Changing bold to regular
> and saving the choices should fix it.
>
> > Is that normal, and can I just copy the regular to bold to keep it
> > happy as a fix.
>
> Yes, that would work too.

Mmmm, it stopped the warning but didn't fix another problem that the
the errant bold setting was causing.

I found my Basemode.ColoursStd file had BitmapStyle_Text:Bold so I set
that to Regular.

What also was happening is a bit longer to explain.
After making a copy of the X font to my UserPrefs.Bitmaps and editing
the regular font to taste, I found that some of my new characters
weren't appearing, so I renamed my copy to myX thinking that both copies
were being accessed, but I think it was getting original characters from
the Bold bitmap from my copy.(Which weren't actually bold, so less obvious)
Anyway, fixing the cause stopped the crossing over to both bitmaps.

The CtrlTab font must be getting called on when needed by design.

I am wondering what decides wether various bitmaps are selectable
by the user menu for any one font directory.(different issue)

I get flickering of text while editting when using outline fonts,
so I stick with bitmap fonts.
This happens with !Edit as well, quite a serious system defect really.

> > I have tried two conversion utilities to convert 8x16 zap fonts
> > without success, should these work?
>
> They should. If you have any problems with StrongFnt then a detailed
> description would be appreciated.

I dragged an 8*16 font from zapfonts and it went huh?
I'm not sure what else I can add, I could try going through more
of the zap fonts sometime.

The StrongED bitmap font is very easy to edit, and I only need one good
clear font.

A separate matter almost, is there any advantage to sticking with the
16 colour range other than quicker to pick a colour?

Thanks for your help.

Ron M.