          Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <0826b63152.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <5d09893152.fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx>
> >           Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > In message <5a75653152.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >           Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > A ModeFile in UserPrefs.Global would be ignored by StrongED so can't
> > > have solved any problem. Which two problems are you referring to?
> > >
> > You are right, I looked in there, and I must have taken it back out
> > when things got worse instead. I was following the instructions in the
> > NoModeFile at the time.
>
> NoModeFile? I assume you mean the NoModeList file, right?

Yes

> If so, then please explain what you were trying to do. The ModeList file
> isn't something that new users need to refer to.
>
> Normally StrongED will enumerate its modes by going over UserPrefs.Modes
> and then Defaults.Modes and that's fine for normal use. Only if you want
> to have more control over where modes are stored and which modes should
> be visible would you need to use the ModeList file.

Thanks for the info I've enhanced the NoModeList info with it in case I
look in there again (down the track).

It appears you could use ModeList to store a custom mode inside of a
UserPrefs.Modes.<mode>.Modefile so it would get used instead of the
standard Modefile of the same name in !StrongED.Defaults.Modes.<mode>

use  UserPrefs.Modes.C.customC
 if  UserPrefs.Global.Modelist is present
and has the lines

 ModeFile
 BaseMode        BaseMode
 C               C.customC