Re: [StrongED] Feature suggestion/request

In message <ce92756f51.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Bazley <martin.bazley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following bytes were arranged on 31 Oct 2010 by Fred Graute :
>
> > In message <516ecf949fLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I have an RSS feed that doesn't display well in Pluto or StrongEd.
> > >
> > > It would however display nicely if both 0D and 0A were treated as \n, in
> > > any combination.
> >
> > Getting StrongED to treat any combination of 0A and 0D as a newline
> > would be a mayor undertaking as everything that deals with newlines
> > would need to be altered to get this to work satisfactorily. This
> > includes hard- and soft-wrapping, syntaxcolouring, search (and replace).
>
> A better solution which would probably require less effort would be to
> change the functionality of the 'Change NL type' menu so it ignores the
> currently assumed type and replaces *all* permutations of 0A0D, 0D0A,
> 0D and 0A with the new one.

Thanks Martin for this interesting suggestion. Most likely this will be
implemented as a new function rather than replacing 'Change NL type'. As
you say care must be taken to make it works reliably in all cases.

> I bet it doesn't work, though - IME the ~ modifier is hideously
> unreliable.  (In fact, I'd been meaning to post on that subject, but
> kept forgetting.)

The ~ operator is not unreliable IMO but it is tricky to get expressions
that use it to work as desired. If you have any evidence that ~ is not
working correctly then I'd be interested to hear about it.

StrongED developer