[StrongED] Re: Add at end of file?

In article <mpro.l7mke700r6qcq01m4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - ml stronged <jn.ml.sed45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Barry E Allen <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In article <mpro.l7mbho00kbfea01m4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid>,
> >    Jeremy Nicoll - ml stronged <jn.ml.sed45@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >    wrote:
> > > What do you intend to do to get all the files into SE in the first
> > > place?
> >
> > If I remember correctly Pipedream files are just plain text so there
> > should be no problem loading them into StrongED.

> That's not what I meant - apart from anything else you can load any file
> at all into SE.  What I meant was that if there were hundreds or
> thousands of files to be processed, getting them into SE might be
> tricky.  If one could temporarily move them into a directory or set of
> dirs that contain nothing else it'd be easier, but if they're scattered
> all over the system it'd be harder.

No, they are in several directories with not a lot else in. SE's load
files of type dde makes this trivial.

> OTOH using some sort of utility (eg !locate) to build a list of target
> files on whatever criteria are relevant, then eg converting that into an
> Obey file to run a series of commands on each file might be a lot easier.

> If eg you put the extra text into a file called Extra, then you can
> append that to a Target file with a command like

>   *Print Extra { >> Target }

A thought. Don't quite see how to do it though.

> (if I remember the syntax properly).  RO doesn't have an *append
> command but this works by 'printing' the Extra file and uses redirection
> to append the results onto the end of the target file.

> If eg one defines an alias

>   *Set Alias$AlterIt print extra { >> %*0 }

> then one can issue

>   *Alterit Targetfile1
>   *Alterit Targetfile2

> and so on.  (It can be a little trickier than this to set up, but I'm
> writing these notes on a windows machine, and am not about to experiment
> with RO.)

> So if one has a file containing a list of target filenames, all one then
> needs to do is insert "*Alterit " in front of each line, save the file,
> set its type to Obey (or better TaskObey), then run it.

Certainly the best suggestion so far! But I think Perl may be the best
language. A bit slow on RISC OS!

--
Richard Torrens.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats