Re: [StrongED] Re: Add at end of file?

On 23 Aug 2010, "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <6145b54951.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>,
>    Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 20 Aug 2010, "Richard Torrens (lists)" <Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
>
> > > I have a large number of files to which I wish to add a line at
> > > the end of each.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to do this?
>
> > If you mean by using StrongED, I think the answer is not easily.
>
> > PipeDream lists data for column A, column B, etc. Each list
> > comprises row 1, row 2, etc. To add a single line to the end of the
> > PipeDream file would require an entry in _every_ column list.
>
> > > The files are all Pipedream files: I want to add an extra column
> > > to each file.
>
> > That would need a new column list with an entry for every row,
> > whether null or otherwise.
>
> > It may also be necessary to change the file header, but I've not
> > looked into that.
>
> The addition to the file is very simple: a final line
>
> %CO:K,12,0%
>
> This adds column K - which is exactly what I need.

I misunderstood. I thought that you wanted to add a line to the file as
displayed by PipeDream, in which case my first comment above is true.

You're correct in that adding %CO:K,12,0% to a newline at the end of the
file extends the display up to column K (if it doesn't already exist),
and I was not correct in suggesting that it is necessary to populate the
the column rows.

To carry out this operation manually in StrongED is, as you say, simple
but, if you intend to modify many files, it would be rather tedious.

As far as I can see, a saved PipeDream file doesn't end with a newline,
so you need to be able to add a newline to the file, before %CO:K,12,0%

I believe that StrongED doesn't provide for searching for EOF, so search
and replace, which could operate on multiple files, is not available.

If the PipeDream file were to end with a newline, it would have been
possible to use ConvText (by searching for [10]-LAST).

I suspect that you need a purpose built program.

Tony