Re: [StrongED] stoppong a file auto-loading

On 1 Aug 2010, Fred Graute <fjgraute@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <8cd7184051.old_coaster@old_coaster.yahoo.co.uk>
>           Tony Moore <old_coaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > Can someone please tell me where StrongED holds the data which enables
> > it to auto-load a file, on startup (so that I can delete it)?
>
> The files to auto-load are listed in the file called 'List' inside the
> AutoSave directory (which is in StrED_cfg.UserPrefs or StrongED.Defaults
> depending on how you've set up StrongED). You can either remove the
> entire file or load it into another editor and remove the line loading
> the 65MB file.

Problem solved, many thanks. StrongED had also copied the 65MB file to
that directory, so I deleted it, and the file 'List'.

> One of the reasons why loading such a big file is slow is the ModeWhen
> system, it's actually looking though the entire file to find matches
> against patterns used in ModeWhen files not just the first 1k as it says
> in the manual.
>
> The latest version has a changed implementation of the ModeWhen system
> that does limit itself to the first 1k. Loading a 20MB file taking just
> over 7 seconds on the old version, takes about 2 seconds on the new one.

Originally, the file took 105 seconds to load but, having deleted one
character near to the start of the file, the hourglass was still being
displayed, several minutes later. I guess that StrongED was moving the
file, in memory, to fill the gap?

Tony